The Best New Year’s Resolutions for Seniors
New Year’s resolutions are all about fresh starts. Take some time to reflect back over the past 12 months, and set out to make this year your best one yet with goals that are perfect for keeping seniors healthy, happy and active.
- Stay active – Staying active is the key to healthy aging. Start small with just 10 minutes of activity per day then work up from there. Consider taking a class like tai chi, yoga or water aerobics. You can even join a mall-walking group for an added benefit of fun with friends.
- Eat healthier – Eating healthier can lead to a longer, happier life. Choose some of these super foods:
• Goat milk and cheese
• Whole grains
• Fish and lean meats
• Herbs like turmeric and fennel
• Green tea and soy milk
• Red wine
- Get a check-up – Schedule a physical with your primary care physician. Preventative care is the best and easiest type of care for staying healthy in the upcoming year.
- Clean out attic, garage and/or closets – If those unorganized spaces are driving you crazy, this could be the year to tackle those projects. You will feel accomplished when it’s finished.
- Update/create legal documents – If you haven’t already created your important legal documents, contact a lawyer and set them up. Having your will, advance directives and power of attorney documents created will bring peace of mind this year. If they are already created, this is a good time to review them and make any necessary changes.
- Find a new hobby – Look for a fun, new hobby to fill your time or even revisit an old past-time. This is a great way to stay socially active and fight off loneliness. Try out some of these choices and even share your new passion with a loved one or grandchild:
• Book Club
• Dance classes
- Challenge your brain – Staying mentally active is just as important as staying physically active. Your brain health is important, so to stay sharp try crossword puzzles, sudoku and other brain teasers.
- Look for volunteer opportunities – Volunteering is a great way to give back to your neighborhood, but it has benefits for you too:
• Increased self-confidence
• Sense of accomplishment
• Brings fulfillment to your life
- Learn to use technology – Since staying connected to others has health benefits, learn how to use social media to keep in touch with family and friends. Ask a loved one to help you get started or take a technology class.
- Explore senior living – Consider checking out some senior living communities this year and start exploring your options.
A New Year at Peabody
When you are ready to consider a New Year’s resolution of vibrant living in Manchester, IN, contact Peabody to schedule a tour. Our Life Plan retirement community offers warmth and home-like details for the ageless spirit. Contact us today to learn more and kick off 2019 with a taste of what retirement living can offer.